After Academia.edu accepts and publishes a course, Academia will pay the course instructors in two ways:
1. Based on minutes watched
- Each month, Academia will take the Net Revenue received from all users who upgrade to Academia Premium for Courses during that month and split it in half. Academia keeps 50% of the Net Revenue and we put the other 50% into a pool (“Net Revenue Pool”) for individuals who submit Course Material to Academia (“Course Instructors”). Each month, we will divide the Net Revenue Pool by the number of minutes watched of all courses. Course Instructors will receive a share of that Net Revenue Pool relative to the minutes watched of their courses. By way of example only, if Net Revenue for August 2021 was $1,000, then the Net Revenue Pool is $500. If the total minutes watched for all courses was 100 minutes and minutes watched for your courses was 20 minutes, then you would receive $100 for August 2021 (i.e., 50% of $1,000 multiplied by 1/5). “Net Revenue” means all revenue received by Academia from users who upgrade to Academia Premium for Courses less any applicable taxes, refunds and fees.
- Academia Premium for Courses is a brand new feature and we don’t know yet how many people will watch, so we can’t promise or guarantee that you will receive any payments from the Net Revenue Pool or otherwise.
- Academia has many different subscription prices (annual vs. monthly, country-specific prices) so your revenue will depend on the Academia Premium for Courses plan users choose.
2. Upgrades you drive from referral links
- You can drive traffic to your Course Material using a Referral Link we will supply. You can share this link on any platform you wish and with anyone you think would be interested in your Course Material. Anytime someone upgrades to Academia Premium for Courses and was directed from one of your links (“Referred Sale”), you will get 70% of revenue received by Academia from the user that completed the Referred Sale less any applicable taxes, refunds or fees. Referred Sales do not include any transactions that are not eligible for payment from Academia due to one or more of the following: (i) any verified cancellation of any upgrade; (ii) non-receipt of payment from, or refund of payment to, the user; and (iii) the website where the Referral Link was placed was not the last website visited by the user before they upgraded.
You can publish a course without connecting your payment information, but we can only start paying you in the month when you give us that information.
If you were paid a fellowship or cash advance on future earnings, that amount will be debited against any earnings from Watch Time Minutes or Referral Links until the amount you’ve earned is greater than the amount of the cash advance.
Academia reserves the right to institute a payment threshold, such that you must earn over a certain amount before we disperse a payment. We may do this to minimize transaction fees we may incur to pay instructors. By way of example only, if the payment threshold is $100, and you earn $50 in August and $51 in September, we will send you a single payment of $101 in October.