Understanding how attachments can be utilized in a paper (or other academic work) is a key part of understanding how your papers can be displayed and modified on Academia.
With all Academia paper pages, there are two parts:
1. The page where the paper can be read and downloaded on Academia
2. The attachment or upload of the original document, which usually contains the full text of the uploaded item.
The page itself includes all the information that you can upload and save on Academia, including paper title, your abstract, any co-authors, or any additional publication information such as journal name or date published. This is where the analytics and co-author information is attached.
The attachment or uploaded paper is only the specific attachment uploaded that may include the actual full text of the paper, book, or project.
You can change this information from your profile page. Here's how to get there. Then, you can add, modify, or delete attachments without modifying any other part of the page.
1. Click "Edit" under the paper you would like to change this document on.
2. Scroll down on the paper edit page until you see the "Choose File" box, and under it, a list of attachments currently associated with your paper title.
3. Click the trash can next to the name of the file you wish to delete.
4. Click "Choose Files" and select the new document you want from it's location, or drag and drop your document onto that box. Then, click "Save" in the top right-hand corner.
Q: My paper isn't uploading correctly!
A: You may wish to review our upload troubleshooting support article and see if your issue is covered there.
Q: I get a "Something went wrong!" message.
A: Try restarting your browser, using a different browser, or restarting your computer. If that still doesn't work, let us know by clicking here and we'll see what further assistance we can offer. Please include your profile URL in your support request.
Q: When I upload my work, I get a "This document is being converted" message. Where's my upload?
A: This is a regular part of the paper upload process! This page should go away in 10-20 minutes, but conversion can take up to 24 hours. If you cannot read your paper within 24 hours, please let us know, and include the link to the work you are unable to view.
Q: When I view my work, my paper says "Loading Preview...." forever!
A: This page should go away in 10-20 minutes, can take up to 24 hours. If you still see a "Loading Preview" message, please try re-uploading your attachment and deleting the old attachment. If this message doesn't go away again within 24 hours, please let us know, and include the link to the work you are unable to view.